Updated – Sport England Return to Play Guidelines for COVID-19
Following the introduction of the COVID-19 three tier system across England, Sport England have updated their guidance for what this means for sport and physical activity.
As always, be sure to follow social distancing guidelines and continue to regularly wash hands, wear a face covering where advised and create plenty of space between participants where possible.
For information about what support may be available to your group during the COVID-19 pandemic, please click here.
Tier 1 (medium)
National restrictions, introduced from 24 September, continue to apply.
- Organised individual and team sports that have been through return to play protocols can continue, while adhering to the ‘rule of six’, which means playing in a group of no more than six people.
- There are exemptions to this: under-18s, disabled people and, if for educational purposes, over-18s, can play in any number.
- Other indoor activity, such as exercise classes, can continue in larger numbers based on the size of the venue, provided that people are in separate groups of up to six people, or larger groups if they’re from the same household or support bubble, which do not mix.
- Gyms and leisure facilities can stay open, and the ‘rule of six’ applies to informal activity.
- National governing body-approved organised team sport, exercise classes and outdoor licensed physical activity and sport participation events can happen in any number provided they’re in line with COVID-secure guidance.
- The ‘rule of six’ applies to informal sport.
Tier 2 (high)
- Organised individual and team sport must be played by a single household or support bubble.
- Exemptions laid out in Tier 1 on specific groups of people who can play in larger numbers continue to apply.
- Exercise classes can also continue as per the rules under Tier 1, while informal sport can only be played indoors by a single household or support bubble.
- Gyms and leisure facilities can stay open.
- There’s no change to the guidance for outdoor sport and physical activity – the Tier 1 rules still apply.
Tier 3 (very high)
Guidance under this tier is subject to change, depending on local and national government agreements.
- Sport and physical activity can be played as per the guidance under Tier 2.
- Gyms and leisure facilities may have to close depending on local approaches to business closures.
- Sport and physical activity can be played as per the guidance under Tier 1.